Make a Plan
General guidelines to follow before, during, and after any emergency or disaster:
- Know the risks and hazards in your area and know the danger signs.
- Purchase adequate insurance to cover possible losses due to the emergency / disaster.
- Develop plans for what to do in any / all types of emergencies based upon the hazards within your area.
- If you are traveling to another location, know the risks and hazards of that location and plan out how your will respond while you are there.
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit for each person/animal in your home.
- Know where your local shelters are located and how you will get there.
- Know what your area's evacuation plans are and how you will respond.
- Volunteer to help others in their planning efforts.
- Put your plans you developed into action.
- Follow the direction, advice, and guidance of officials in charge of the event.
- Stay calm; this is where your preparedness efforts really come in handy because you have already done your research.
- Help others, if you can.
- Recover the best you can. It is your responsibility to recover, rebuild, and become whole again.
- If you have lost / damaged property, take photos, document everything.
- Contact your insurance company immediately and let them know what happened.
- Seek out local assistance, if needed, such as sheltering needs, food banks, etc.
- If the emergency / disaster meets disaster thresholds, state and federal assistance may be available. Listen to your local government officials for directions / guidance.