What do I do if I miss my court date?

When you miss a court date, there are two possible outcomes. 

  1. The Judge may have ordered a warrant. There are two ways to deal with this.  
    1. You may post your bond and receive a new court date. This will cancel the warrant that day.  
    2. You can come to court on one of our Walk-In Warrant hearing dates to resolve your warrant without having to post bond. The warrant will remain active until you are seen by a judge.    
  2. The Judge may have found you Guilty By Default. This means that your failing to pay prior to your court hearing and your subsequent failure to appear is interpreted by the Court as an admission of guilt to the charge on your summons. 
    1. You must pay the fines plus any additional court costs ordered by the Court within 10 days of your court date in order to avoid additional fees and a referral to collections.   
    2. Alternatively, if you can show good cause as to why you failed to appear or pay prior and it has not been more than 30 days, you may ask the court to set aside your default and grant you a new hearing date.  

Show All Answers

1. Can I pay my ticket online?
2. How can I take care of my ticket if I live out-of-state?
3. Can I make partial payments on my traffic ticket?
4. Is it possible to change my court date?
5. Can I have a Public Defender?
6. How can I get another copy of the paperwork to take a court ordered class/community service?
7. If I would like to speak with the judge about my case how would I reach them?
8. What do I do if I miss my court date?
9. How do I post a bond for my warrant?
10. How can I get a default judgment set aside?
11. Can I appear for court if I have an outstanding warrant?
12. How do I contest a parking ticket?
13. Can I get a copy of my accident or police report?
14. How do I get a certified disposition of my record in the Brighton Municipal Court?
15. How many points do I have on my license? Can I have a copy of my driving record?