The City of Brighton is once again participating in the annual Arbor Day Fifth Grade Poster Contest, an artistic competition for public, private and home-schooled 5th graders across the state. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Trees In Our Community” and is an opportunity for students to show their creativity to raise awareness of trees and their important role they play in the environment and our quality of life. The contest is statewide, but will also be held at the city level in Brighton. The winner of each Brighton school will move onto the state contest and their posters will be put on display at the State Capitol.
Brighton 1st Place Prizes:
- Student: Tree of choice (5-8 feet tall), Arbor Day Foundation items, $100 gift card and an introduction to City Council
- Teacher: The teacher of the winning student will win a tree of choice (5-8 feet tall)
- Class: All students of the winning class will receive a seedling tree
- School: Arbor Day will be celebrated at the winning school with the class helping to plant a tree
Brighton 2nd Place Prize:
- Student: Tree of choice (5-8 feet tall), Arbor Day Foundation items and a $20 gift card
- One entry per student
- Must be an original artwork created by a 5th grade student
- Entries should be done on 12” x 18” paper (or as close as possible to those measurements) to allow for duplication, display and framing
- The poster must relate to the contest theme - “Celebrate Trees in Our Community” must be on the poster, spelled correctly and legible
- Use of marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, and tempera paint
- Student’s name, grade, school, teacher’s name and contact phone number must be printed on the back of the poster in pencil
- Student’s first and last name must be written in the lower right-hand corner of the front of the poster
- Collages (no glue), computer or photo-generated art and printing
- Matted, mounted, laminated, framed or folded entries
- Names of commercial products, companies or organizations
Entries become the property of the Colorado Tree Coalition and may not be returned. The deadline to submit an entry is Wednesday, March 30.
For more information or to submit an entry, please contact Adam Rhodebeck, City of Brighton Forester, at email@example.com or (303) 655-2048.