Are you interested in serving your community? City Council nomination packets will be available on Aug. 6 in the City Clerk’s office, located on the fourth floor of City Hall, 500 S. 4th Ave.
Council winners are determined by votes in their respective wards of residence and are elected to four-year terms. This election does not include a mayoral race.
Council candidates are required to return their petitions with the names of 25 qualified electors from their specific wards by 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 26.
Here are some key upcoming dates if you’d like to become a candidate in 2019:
- Aug. 6 – First day that petitions for nominations may be circulated
- Aug. 26 – Last day to circulate petitions for nominations; petitions must be filed with the City Clerk by 5 p.m.
- Aug. 27 – City Clerk draws lots for Councilmember candidate placement on ballot
- Aug. 30 – Last day to file an affidavit of intent to run as a write-in candidate
- Sept. 3 – City Council approves resolution certifying the ballot content
- Nov. 5 – Election Day
If you are interested in becoming a candidate or have questions about the election process, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 303-655-2056 or visit www.brightonco.gov/212/Elections-Voting.