The City of Brighton’s Finance Department is excited to announce the launch of the digital applications A Balancing Act & Taxpayer Receipt! These applications are useful, in-depth tools to navigate City financial information.
Balancing Act is an easy way to view revenues and expenditures at a departmental level for this year’s annual budget. You’ll notice that the Utility Department is not included in the applications. This is due to the Utilities Fund existing as a self-supporting enterprise fund, separate from the City’s General Fund.
Here you will find a summary, which includes interactive buttons, allowing you to hover to learn more. Additionally, citizens can submit feedback to City leadership by adjusting budgetary items, learning about the potential impacts, and communicate directly with members of City management.
Taxpayer Receipt is an informative tool that allows residents to view how their local sales and property taxes are allocated across services provided by the City. By answering a few questions, an itemized receipt will populate to identify how each tax dollar is utilized across the City. A portion of taxes paid are allocated to other entities, including schools. The amounts in this tool only reflect funds used by the City of Brighton.
Each year, the City prepares an annual budget for the fiscal year beginning on January 1 and ending on December 31. The Finance Department is responsible for the budget preparation process and organizing the data submitted by each department. The budget and budget document are prepared using the requirements and guidelines of the City Charter, State budget law and the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA).
The primary purpose of the budget is to provide Citizens with a comprehensive overview of City services and operations and the resources that fund those services.
- 2020 Proposed Budget Book
- 2019 Adopted Budget
- 2019 Proposed Budget Book (PDF)
- 2018 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2018 Proposed Budget Book (PDF)
- 2017 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2017 Proposed Budget (PDF)
- 2016 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2016 Proposed Budget (PDF)
- 2015 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2015 Budget in Brief (PDF)
- Capital Improvement Plan 2015-2019 (PDF)
- 2014 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- Capital Improvement Plan 2014 - 2018 (PDF)
- 2013 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2012 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2011 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2010 Adopted Budget (PDF)
- 2009 Adopted Budget (PDF)