Dewey W. Strong came to Colorado in 1873 because of health problems. After living on a small farm in Weld County for seven years Strong set up a small mercantile becoming Brighton's first merchant. He began acquiring land north of Bridge Street while his mercantile business grew and on November 10, 1882 he platted 20 acres as "North Brighton". One year later, Strong and some fellow dairy farmers built Brighton's first factory, the Brighton Creamery. As a farmer, businessman and land owner Dewey W. Strong contributed greatly to the beginnings of Brighton.